Flavio Dario Espinal is managing partner and founder of FDE Legal, a law firm offering a wide range of legal services in the Dominican Republic. With just over 40 years of experience, he concentrates his legal practice in corporate and business law, administrative law, constitutional law, financial and banking law, regulation and compliance, corporate governance, international trade and foreign investment, governmental affairs and alternative dispute resolution.
Dr. Espinal has served as legal consultant to the Executive Branch (2016-2020), ambassador of the Dominican Republic to the United States (2004-2009) and permanent representative of the Dominican Republic to the Organization of American States (OAS) (1996-2000). In his professional career he has combined private law practice with consulting and national and international public service. He has also worked both in private practice and public service in the preparation and drafting of legislation, regulations, international agreements and reports on relevant legal issues.
Flavio Darío Espinal was a member of the commission of jurists appointed by the Executive Branch to draft the preliminary draft that served as the basis for the 2010 Constitution, as well as the commission of jurists appointed to draft a set of laws to complement said Constitution. The prestigious governmental positions and appointments in which he has participated have had a significant influence in the development and modernization of the legal system of the Dominican Republic.
He has been one of the most influential and respected law professors in the country and is a prolific writer with numerous articles and books, with a regular presence in the country's media with important analyses and opinions on local and international legal, political and economic issues.
-Founding member of Fundación Institucionalidad y Justicia, Inc. (FINJUS), Dominican Republic.
-Dominican Bar Association
Honors and Recognition
- Supreme Silver Circle, JAYCEES '72
- 2002 "Pedro Henríquez Ureña" National Essay Prize, for the book Constitucionalismo y Democracia en la República Dominicana, awarded by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Dominican Republic.
- 1995-1996. Institute for the Study of World Politics, Washington DC, USA.
- 1994-1995. Bradley Foundation, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Virginia, USA.
- 1994-1995. Dupont Foundation, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Virginia, USA.
- 1991-1994. Scholarship recipient of the LASPAU Program (Latin American Scholarship Program for American Universities) of the Government of the United States of America.
- 1991-1994 U.S. Government Fulbright Scholar.
- 1990 "Outstanding Young Person", JAYCEES '72, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Law Degree(Summa Cum Laude), Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) Dominican Republic; Master in Government Affairs, University of Essex, England; and Doctor in Government and Public Law from the University of Virginia, United States. He also attended Harvard Law School's Program on Negotiation for Lawyers.